The Voice Extensible Markup Language (VoiceXML) is designed for creating audio dialogs that feature synthesized speech, digitized audio, recognition of spoken and DTMF1 key input, recording of spoken input, telephony, and mixed initiative conversations. Its major goal is to bring the advantages of web-based development and content delivery to interactive voice response applications.
1Dual Tone Multi-Frequency. This is the system used by touch-tone telephones. DTMF assigns a specific frequency, or tone, to each key.
More on the general topic: XML Specifications
- eXtensible Resource Identifier (XRI)
- eXtensible Stylesheets Language (XSL)
- Ink XML
- REgular LAnguage description for XML (RELAX)
- RELAX NG
- Synchronized Multimedia Integration Language (SMIL)
- Tree Regular Expression for XML (TREX)
- XML Linking Language (XLink)
- XML Query (XQuery)
- XML Schema