Object-relational mapping is used to map object-oriented programming objects to relational databases managed by Oracle, DB2, Sybase, and other relational database managers (RDBMSs). This site provides facts about object-relational mapping products, architecture problem-solving, and direction in product comparison and selection.
Object-relational mapping products are designed to work well with object programming languages such as C#, C++, and Java. Database objects appear as programming language objects. Often, the interface for object-relational mapping products is the same as the interface for object-oriented databases.
Object-relational mapping products should be be used when you want to take advantage of transparent persistence and use an RDBMS. An RDBMS may be required because:
- The data already resides in one or more RDBMSs
- The data is new, but there are technical or political reasons for using an RDBMS
An object-relational mapping product will likely reduce your programming code and, through caching, improve performance over using an embedded SQL or call-level interface such as JDBC or ODBC when using an RDBMS. The performance cost of using RDBMSs with objects can be reduced because most object-relational mapping products provide transparent persistence with object programming languages and caching. More on these topics can be found in the articles mentioned in the next section.
Other terms used for object-relational mapping include: OR mapping and ORM.
Using object-relational mapping instead of JDBC or ODBC can reduce your development time and improve your performance. Interested in how these products work? Want to know when you should consider using these products? What are some architectures that take advantage of these products yet preserve your existing database investment? These articles provide answers to these questions and more. Check out the articles on object-relational mapping.
Vendors are listed on this site with links to their respective websites. Click here for vendors.
Jump-Start Your Development
Our services are a way to get your project off to a running start. We will significantly speed up your development by providing:
- Consulting on software architectures and products. This will help you quickly make fully informed decisions concerning the selection and use of software products for Web Services and service-oriented architectures. More...
- Mentoring or coaching on technical issues. These sessions make it easier for managers and project leads to get up-to-speed on architectural considerations. More...
- Speaking on topics of advanced software architectures and how such architectures can be used in organizations. This is a great way to communicate the value of using various types of software architectures to larger groups. More...
Related products on this website
These products can used to build software architectures with many of the following products described on this site. Be sure to check out these products:
- Web Services
- Cloud Computing
- Application Servers
- Relational Databases
- OR Databases
- Object-Oriented Databases
- XML Databases
- XML Middleware
Copyright © 2000 - 2013 Barry & Associates, Inc. All Rights Reserved.